Ive been dying to finally post these pictures for a while now, so please bear with me, as many reveal posts are still to come.
Ive mentioned many times about searching through kijiji for great finds. Well recently I haven't seen much, however, when we first started looking on kijiji for furniture for our new home, we came across this cabinet:
Maybe I caved...maybe. Plus, she lent us her car to drive it home in (who does that?!) so we really felt bad saying no. We did like it, we just weren't totally sure, but as the reveal shows, it actually turned out pretty good ;)
The cabinet is made out of walnut and has dovetail joints, however, part of the cabinet is veneer and this made for a difficult time when spraying it with paint.
We took this piece to a painter we have been working with for some of our other pieces and she has been fabulous. This piece gave her a lot of grief though, unfortunately. Apparently back in the day (whenever that was, yesteryear, maybe?! lol) they used a shilack to cover wood and it was partly composed of bug guts?! Anyho, this composition does not react well with paint, and often after painting you will see pink or orange colours bleed through the paint.
So of course after lugging this thing home (in our painters van, which she lent us- again, such nice people out there!), after a few days we began to see pink spots all over the cabinet. We had to bring it back (again in her van) and she primed it 2 more times before painting it again.
Now, it only has a bit of a yellow tinge to it in some places...but only if you really stare. So I just dont stare at it....for long.
We thought we could just leave the inside unpainted, but of course when I saw the outside sprayed all gleeming white, I had to paint the inside white...myself. That actually turned out ok, but it does make the drawers stick a bit, so I would not recommed doing that.
The inside had 3 pull out drawers, and there are 2 large drawers on the bottom. Our plan was to use this piece in our office as storage for the printer, paper, etc.
The final product:
Again, we matched the crystal knobs to the ones on the desk, and we are so happy with how it turned out. Office almost complete!
Linking up to: