8.31.2011

DIY Artificial Flower Arrangements with Water

I have these flower arrangements in my home:


 


Bet you thought they were real didn't you?! :) Everyone who has come to my home and noticed them, has said to me, "gee the water is really low in your flower vase, you might want to add some."
So although they look real, they happen to be clever imposters posing as the real deal.

Although I would LOVE to have fresh flowers in my home all the time, we can't really afford to pay $20 every week and they'd probably die within a day...so I figured these were worth the investment.

However, Ive discovered a way to create these arrangements on your own for less than $10 :)

Its pretty simple to do and you only need a few things.

You'll need:

- a vase (I got mine at the dollar store)
- Craft flower water (clear resin) *you can get it at any craft store or Michaels
- fake flowers (again the dollar store, but I think Michaels has the most 'real looking' fake flowers Ive seen)



Thats it!

The supplies you'll need from home:
- Tongs
- Towel
- Cutting board
- Scissors
- Oven Mitts
- Pot





1. To start, clean your vases out so there is no dust or marks or anything on them.

2. Take your flowers and arrange them in the vase in a way you like. This is your only real chance to play around so get a good idea of what you want to do now, so you'll remember later.




3. Cut your flower stems to the lengths you need.




4.  Fill your pot with water at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the bottle of flower water (resin). Set the bottle into the pot and bring the water to a boil. Once the bottle has been in the boiling water for about 15 minutes, you'll start to see the resin become a liquid.



5. Put your oven mitts on and carefully take the bottle out of the pot and set it onto a cutting board (dry it off with the dish towel).

6. Take the pot of boiling water and dump the water down the drain. TURN THE BURNER OFF! Put the pot back on the burner and set your glass vase into the pot to warm it and then slowly pour the liquid resin into the glass vase. Leaving the vase in the warm pot while doing this will help to get rid of any bubbles in the resin. You'll want to leave your vase in the pot for about 10 minutes to get rid of any bubbles, but keep eye on it.




7. Remove the vase from the pot (with your oven mitts) and set it onto the cutting board.

8. You have approximately 15 minutes to arrange your flowers in the vase before it sets.

And your final product will look something similar to this: (I find its difficult to see the 'water' in this picture, but its there!)




A few tips for the road:

#1- Buy flowers that have thick large stems. The flowers I bought ended up with small stems based how how I had to cut their length. It made them very hard to work with and hard to get into the resin.

#2- Buy 2 vases (just to have a back-up!)

#3- Do NOT leave your vase in the pot with the burner on! Make sure the burner is OFF before you put the vase into the pot, on the burner.

Goodluck! Im happy with how the first one has turned out, but have enough resin to make a few more, and I think they'll turn out much better!

Total cost:
Vase- $2
Flowers $2
Resin $4.50- you'll only use 1/2 the bottle (Paid $9.00 reg. $16.99, but I used a 50% off coupon)

Total: $8.50 :)

Under $10.00 for the project!

Hope that inspires you to make some of your own arrangements :)




 

10 comments:

  1. Pretty!! And I'm still drooling over that factory cart! :) Btw, I passed on The Versatile Blogger award to you...you can grab the button over at my place (www.brownpaperpackagesep.blogspot.com) if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic tip! I have seen these arrangements in the stores and they are so expensive. This is such a great way to make them for next to nothing. Now I have a great use for all the vases I have sitting around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Evie! I really appreciate it! :) I'll pop over and grab a button for sure :)

    Thanks Arlene! I thought it was a good way to use up vases from the wedding too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I just did it with square glass vases and some fake hydrangeas! Super easy, and SO much less than the store-bought arrangements. And the factory cart looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks lady! :) I know so much cheaper!
    I have to admit that cart has hugely grown on me- still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible with the unique water it makes the flower look real I would not know that they were fake from looking at the last picture you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey it looks quite amazing. These flowers give feel of real fresh flowers . Good job....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the amazing and cheap idea! So doing this next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy I found this!!

    Thank you :)

    I will be doing this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your idea. You are a very good teacher as your directions and accompanying photos were excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...