9.18.2011

Guest Room Project- Take 2

After making my first sunburst mirror a while back, Ive been thinking of ways to modify the mirror I created previously. I just found there were a few things I could have done better, plus I wanted to make another one that I could use for our guest room (once we begin to decorate it).

So here is what I started with:

- approx 24 small wood dowlings (2 different widths)
- acrylic paint (I used 3 different colours)
- saw (to cut dowlings)
- glue (glue gun worked well for me)
- wood filler
- embroidery ring
- 1 craft ring (you only need the smaller one)








Step 1: Paint your dowlings. I used 3 paint colours: gold, silver and a pearl white. I mixed different ratios of the paint colours to get a variety of different colours.

Step 2: Arrange your dowlings onto the craft rings to see how you want your mirror to look (I tried to space out the dowlings well according to colour and width).

Step 3: Glue your dowlings to the craft ring and then place the mirror on top. Glue your mirror onto the dowlings.

Step 4: Pull the metal pieces off your embroidery ring. This left holes in mine, so I had to fill them with wood filler. Once the filler was dry, I sanded it and painted the embriodery ring.



Step 5: Once the paint is dry, glue your embroidery ring around the mirror. This should be your last step!


The hardest part of this project was figuring out how long I wanted to wood dowlings to be. In my last sunburst I didn't like the ratio of wooden shims with the size of my mirror (I found the mirror to be a bit small/ shims to be a bit long), however I didn't have anything to cut the shims with.

This time, I was able to use a handsaw to cut the dowlings, since they are much smaller than the shims. Regardless, I spent hours cutting them, since I couldn't decide on a length and had to keep re-cutting them, which took forever.

And here is my finished project (still drying):




Im actually really happy with how this one turned out :)
Next time you see it, it'll be hanging on the wall in our guest room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...