5.09.2011

Treasure Hunting....Garage Sales

First of all, I wanted to mention that our bathroom reno's are coming along slowly but surely, and I will be posting about them very soon! We had a few set-backs, but we are almost complete! Yippee!!

On another note, some of you may know about my recent obsession with finding out about the latest garage sales going on in my city. Ian and I have been collecting junk treasures to sell, in a pile in our basement ever since we moved in. We have been patiently waiting, waiting, to hear about our neighbourhood garage sale, so we can make a bit of extra money. However, I am DYING to go to the sales as well.

The other day I got an email from a friend telling me her parents neighbourhood sale is happening THIS weekend. Awesome I thought! I still hadn't heard about my neighbourhood's sale, so that was great news! Now I could go to other neighbourhood sales and then have my own later on.

Nope.

As I was leaving my subdivision last night, I noticed a sign "Neighbourhood Garage Sale, Saturday 9-12". Are you kidding me? What am I supposed to do now! I can't be in 2 places at once. I had to weigh my options.

1. Hold my own garage sale, and potentially make some money. Not a lot, but some.
2. Go to the sales and find millions of treasures!

Obviously #2 outweighed the former.

So we went. I made Ian get up at 7:00am ("hurry...we're going to miss everything!!" while he looked at me with those eyes that said, you are ridiculous and I need sleep lady).

We grabbed the dog (who seemed SUPER excited to go! or maybe it was just the fact that she was going for a walk...whatever.) As we drove around the city, I tried explaining to Ian (for the millionth time) why garage sales are so important. I told him the story of finding my "Stacey" doll from a childhood book series I used to read, about the Ouja board my brother and I scored (for free!) from a sale once, and about the old cassett tape holder I found at a sale that I turned into my "Kid Kit" for babysitting jobs. (p.s I totally stole that idea of a "Kid Kit" from the Babysitters Club book series for those of you who read them).

But most importantly, the story of the box of books.
I will never forget my dad bringing home that box of books for me. I was maybe about 7 or 8 years old. It was early morning and I remember my parents calling me downstairs for something. Sleepily in my nightgown, I slowly came downstairs rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, to see the most wonderful sight I had ever seen. A box of 30+ books...all Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley, Nancy Drew, The Sleepover kids, you name it.
I rubbed my eyes again. This can't be real. "Is it Christmas?" I asked.
My dad had accomplised his mission. He had found a treasure at one of those garage sales and had given his little girl her favorite thing (books) for $6.00. Yes, $6.00 for the whole box.

As I finished telling my story, Ian reminds me that I tell him that story EVERY time we talk about garage sales. Well SOOORRREE.

So as you have probably guessed, I have fond memories of garage sales, and I wasn't about to pass up this opporunity. We can hold our own sale later in the year.

After searching around for hours (our neighbourhood was INSANELY busy- it actually had 2 hotdog vendors that sold out-lol!), we came to the conclusion that having a sale, might have been a better idea. So disappointed we came home with nothing. However, the day was incredibly fun. Brought back fond memories, Clover got to meet tons of people, we met some super nice neighbours and got out in the sunshine :)

Even though we didn't find anything at these sales, I recently scored a neat/vintage dresser that I might try and sell myself. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet...


Stay Tuned!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...