Anyho, we recently finished updating our Ikea dresser...I guess you could say this is my first true Ikea Hack...yippee! Boy are we ever glad its finished (and still in one piece as we refrained from kicking it several times while remaking it :D )
Soooo....here's what we began with:
The Ikea Hemnes 8 drawer dresser (ours was a honey colour, which they dont actually make anymore):
so we wanted it white...and didn't feel like forking out the $300 to get a new one...soooo we decided to paint ours.
I have to say this dresser was probably the most difficult piece we've worked with yet. It involved a bunch of steps and we dealt with a bunch of challenges after each.
First thing we did was sand the dresser down completely.
We took apart all of the drawers so we only had to paint the drawer fronts.
We then primed the entire piece and all drawer fronts with an oil based primer. This helps when you are trying to get the paint to level-out better, however for us it didn't work too well. We ended up stripping the entire top of the dresser and trying again with a water-based primer. After that, we sanded the entire piece again, and started with our paint.
We used "Simply White" in a satin finish by Benjamin Moore- which is the same colour as our trim and other white furniture- so we kept it consistent.
We constantly seemed to have dust and little blue particles from our drop cloth sticking to our pieces, so we were continuously wiping the pieces off and painting again, and again and again.
(Sorry for the lack of pictures on our progress, but I completely forgot to take some during our frustrations! lol)
We changed up the hardware a bit...
and we're pretty happy with how it turned out!
Dresser complete! We're almost there with this room friends! Up next- headboard re-do!